Friday, November 23, 2012

WS - Telepathy

So to kick off this blog series i thought i'd start with the subject that gave me the idea for the series in the first place: Telepathy.

For those of you who don't know I've been writing stories with supernatural/ paranormal themes and creatures and abilities. *I'm gonna have to look up the difference between supernatural and paranormal. lol
Anywasy, since i'm pretty open about the abilities featured in my Gate's Crossing, Omoria, and Heart series I tend to run across certain ideas and concepts i don't really think i could work with.
One of those concepts is telepathy.

Now, I've got Empathy in my Omoria series and i'm okay with it, but the idea of telepathy bugs me.
I can understand say broadcasting ones thoughts, so I'm fine with that aspect of it, I'm even slightly okay with the idea that someone or thing with electrical senses might be able to "read" someone else's thoughts at a real time level or even with a bit more work access memories, but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of someone or something accessing someone else's "mindscape" and delving through their motivations and thoughts while maintaining some kind of context instead of seeing something resembling a "movie" with additional sensory information.

I most definitely consider other similar abilities allowable such as fighting, moving, etc. on the Astral Plane, as well as dream walking and misc. things having to do with souls and/or minds without bodies, per say. Higher conciousnesses are tottally fine as are inanimate object with consciousness who use projection of thought to communicate.

I'm also fine with the idea of inviting someone into your mindscape, since that can be spun from a projection stand point.

I guess i'm just not fine with the sort of all powerful telepaths that i see in most mainstream examples of telepaths. Although i do love the work other people have done on the subject i guess it's just not for me. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment